All things Siesta Key. Stories, news, and event information about Sarasota, Florida's beautiful beach.
How to Have a Successful Stay on a Tropical Beach
Imagine a day at the beach with your toes buried in the sand, the sound of the waves hitting the shore, and a beautiful sunset lighting up the sky. For those who have finally booked your first tropical beach vacation, the anticipation and excitement grow stronger as your trip approaches. The Best Western Siesta Key invites you to let us help you and your family have the beach vacation you have always dreamed of. But what do you need to think about before your much-anticipated vacation?
Important Information to Know About Tropical Beaches
There are many amazing ways to enjoy the beach when you are on vacation. If you are new to beach life, here are a few things to be aware of in order to make the most of your trip.
- Limit your hours in the sun if you are a newcomer to the beach. Even with the use of sunscreen, the Florida sun can be very strong. Taking a break at midday to eat lunch or even take a nap will help you avoid a painful sunburn.
- Leave your valuables behind. Like any public place with many people, avoid bringing expensive watches, jewelry, or electronics to the beach. The heat of the sun, the salty ocean water, and the tiny grains of sand can all cause damage to electronics. It is best to leave your valuables in the hotel room safe.
- Stay hydrated. Spending hours in the ocean water, laying on the sand, or walking along the surf under the glare of the sun can dehydrate a person quickly! Make sure you bring plenty of water and other beverages to the beach.
- Enjoy the marine life from a safe distance. The beach can be a source for people to get up close to wildlife. Birds, in the air, on the water, and on the sand call out and watch for those who might have food. Be careful about feeding the birds or other marine wildlife. This can be dangerous for the animal. Just sit back and enjoy watching the marine life all around you.
What To Pack for a Tropical Beach Vacation
One of the first things many people think about after booking a vacation is what to pack, and a beach trip is no exception. Here are the essential items to include in your luggage.
- Swimwear: Most people come to the beach to enjoy the sand and the water. Whether you are anticipating a cool swim in the pool or floating lazily in the ocean, good swimwear is a must.
- Flip flops or sandals: Surprisingly, the sand in Florida, despite its light color, can get very hot on your feet. A pair of flip flops or sandals that can easily be removed and are waterproof is your best defense against burning your feet.
- Sunglasses: A good pair of sunglasses will protect your eyes against the sun’s rays and the glare of the sun off the ocean water. Even the white grains of sand on the beach can become a bit blinding. Choose a pair of sunglasses that provide UV protection for your beach days.
- Sunscreen or sunblock: Make sure you use sunscreen before you arrive at the beach and bring extra to re-apply later in the day. No one wants to deal with sunburn while on a beach vacation.
- A beach bag or two: Going to the beach in style means that you need a great beach bag to transport your necessary items. Choose a bag that is colorful, waterproof, and sand proof. A sturdy beach bag can make your day at the beach perfect.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Leaving for Your Tropical Beach Vacation
Ask yourself these three questions:
- What will the weather be like? Although it is impossible to predict what the weather will be weeks or months in advance, take a look at long-range forecasts and weather patterns in the area you plan to visit. Some tropical areas have periods of rain for part of the year or even daily at times. On Siesta Key, for example, summer is our hot, rainy season. It’s also hurricane season. Be sure you’re not planning your trip the same week a hurricane is due to hit land!
- What kind of beach vacation do I want? If this is your first time at the beach, you may not have thought about your expectations. Are you planning a romantic getaway, a retreat with friends, or a family vacation? Taking into account the people you are traveling with and their needs and expectations can make your trip much smoother.
- What other activities are available near the beach? While the beach and Gulf waters are the main draws, many people enjoy exploring Siesta Key or Sarasota or discovering local treasures, like the Ringling Museum, as a way to spend a quiet afternoon. Shopping in quaint stores on the island, eating at one of our many amazing restaurants overlooking the waves, or seeing animals at our local Jungle Gardens are fun extras for a beach trip.
Planning a tropical beach vacation takes some work, but the rewards are worth it. The experts at The Best Western Siesta Key are happy to provide information on local shops, restaurants, and beach activities. Leave your worries behind and spend time relaxing on the beach. You may never want to leave.
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- January 2018
- August 2017
- July 2017
- April 2017
- September 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016