All things Siesta Key. Stories, news, and event information about Sarasota, Florida's beautiful beach.
South Sarasota: So Many Things to Do
As a unique hotel property located on the mainland just a mile from Siesta Beach, we are frequently asked by our guests what things there are to do besides a suntanning at the beach, kayaking, jet skiing, SUP paddling, fishing or parasailing. Well hold on to this list since we are definitely not all about the beach. Here are several things to do in South Sarasota within a 10 mile radius from the Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway.
- SAND DOLLAR POOL BAR – poolside on hotel property is one of the best kept secrets around. With live music every Thursday through Sunday from 3 – 6 PM, this is the perfect place to start your evening wind down.
- ESCAPE COUNTDOWN – this cool and quirky place directly across the street from the hotel, will occupy you and your family, your sports teams or just two of you for at least an hour while you follow clues to “break out” of the room you are in. You pick the theme; the Escape Countdown team does the rest of the work for you. Think Geo-Caching if you’ve ever done it. Lots of fun for anyone.
- HISTORIC SPANISH POINT – 337 N. Tamiami Trl, Osprey – just 5 miles south of us on US 41 is a complex museum with many layers and facets; there are four main elements to the overall story. There are guided and self-guided tours of Historic Spanish Point taking visitors back to the 1800’s when the area was established by John Webb, and later inhabited by Bertha Palmer who was an integral part of Sarasota’s development into the 1900’s.
- SPANISH POINT RESTAURANT AND TIKI – just south of Historic Spanish Point, is a waterfront restaurant overlooking Sarasota Bay. A wonderful place to have a meal and watch the sunset or stop by for a bite after visiting the museum.
- AMC THEATERS – located in the Westfield Sarasota Square Mall just 2 miles south of the hotel, has an IMAX theater and several other theaters showing the latest movie flicks.
- SIESTA KEY VILLAGE – just 3 miles from the hotel property, this unique and funky shopping and eating village will entertain you for the afternoon. Stop by SKOB, The Hub or an other of the wonderful local restaurants in the Village. Or shop at Gidget’s Coastal Provisions or Beach Bazaar to find that perfect something to remind you of Siesta Key Village when you return home.
- CINEBISTRO – located in the Westfield Siesta Key Mall just 3 miles north of the hotel property. Cinebistro is a wonderful way to watch a movie, reclined, comfortable and with a full bar and menu ready and waiting to whet your appetite.
- MARIE SELBY GARDENS – Nestled on the shores of beautiful Sarasota Bay, Selby Gardens is a tropical urban oasis with something for everyone. Relax amidst nature’s beauty and allow the scenery of unparalleled botanical bliss to carry you away. Located just on the outskirts of downtown Sarasota, 5 miles north of our hotel property.
- THE RINGLING – this infamous museum is a must see on the North Trail, about 10 miles north of the hotel property.
- ST. ARMAND’S CIRCLE – upscale shopping district just for you. Spend the day exploring this wonderful and eclectic part of Lido Key.
- MYAKKA RIVER STATE PARK – we decided to include this, even though it is a bit farther than 10 miles but definitely worth the ride east of the hotel property if you like to become one with Florida wildlife and nature.
- SO MANY RESTAURANTS TO CHOOSE FROM – What cuisine do you prefer? Our front desk agents are happy to make recommendations to you for just about any type of food your heart desires and all nearby and local restaurants for you to do your exploring.
As you can tell, we are not just about the beach, as there are a plethora of things for you and your family to do while you are here. We didn’t even mention all of the arts venues that have vibrant schedules during the season. So why are you waiting? Get packing and explore the riches of South Sarasota.