All things Siesta Key. Stories, news, and event information about Sarasota, Florida's beautiful beach.
Top 12 Romantic Places in Sarasota and Siesta Key
Siesta Key and the surrounding Sarasota area have plenty of romantic activities, making this area a popular honeymoon destination. Whether you love outdoor adventures, indoor culture, quiet walks, or memorable dinners, you can find romance in Siesta Key and Sarasota.
The Best Western Siesta Key knows there is no shortage of romantic adventures in the area, but these are some of our favorites. Make your visit one for the books when you fill your vacation with romantic memories to last a lifetime.
Sometimes being romantic simply means thinking outside the box. If you and your partner love the outdoors, why not find something new and exciting to do as you explore the natural side of Florida? While lying on our stunning, quartz-filled white sand beaches is a great way to connect with nature, there are plenty of unique outdoor activities that will get you out and about while you’re here. Here are just a few to consider:
- Horseback Riding at Myakka State Park: While there’s plenty to do at Florida’s oldest and largest state park, like hiking, camping, biking the trails, or canoeing on the Myakka River, we think there’s nothing more romantic than a good old-fashioned horseback ride through the wilder side of Florida’s natural landscape.
- Sailing Charter: Enjoy the beauty of Florida’s coastline on a sailing charter. Secure your spots on a charter sailboat for a beautiful sunset cruise. Often, you can choose to bring your own picnic or drinks to complete the evening.
- Kayaking the Mangroves: Grab a paddle and quietly maneuver through the lush, exotic mangroves that grow naturally in Florida’s brackish waters. The mangrove tunnels in Lido Key makes for a fun kayaking experience you’ll love doing together. Watch for local species of fish, birds, and other wildlife and enjoy the foliage native to this area.
To get outdoors and enjoy the serene beauty of Florida, there are plenty of great areas nearby that will allow you to soak in the sunshine and marvel at the beauty surrounding you. But be careful! These are great backdrops for falling in love and you might just find yourself swept away by the beauty of it all.
- Picnic at the Ca d’Zan/Ringling Rose Garden: Stop and smell the roses when you stop by the Ringling Museum complex, named for the circus giant who brought fame and fortune to our area in the late 19th century. While the iconic circus museum, art collection, and private home of John and Mable Ringling are also considered must-see venues, Mable Ringling’s award-winning rose garden is the best place to enjoy the romance and peacefulness of the area.
- Flowers & Birds at Selby Gardens: To learn about more exotic plants and flowers native to Florida, stop by Selby Gardens. Walk among enormous banyan trees, learn about the hundreds of varieties of orchids in the greenhouse, and gaze across Sarasota Bay hand-in-hand.
- Drum Circle at Sunset on Siesta Key: One day, a spontaneous drum circle exploded with rhythm right at sunset, and now the Sunday evening music has become a staple. Visit the main pavilion on Siesta Key Beach an hour before sunset to enjoy the rhythms of the tropics as you bid goodbye to another day in paradise together.
Visual and Performing Arts
For more indoor romance and fun, the arts and culture scene in Sarasota is top-notch. From shopping on St. Armand’s Circle to Sarasota’s Main Street, plus art venues and theatres all across town, you’re sure to find something to satisfy your craving for the fine and performing arts.
- Art Exhibits/Art Classes: Sarasota is known for its artistic vibe, so soak in the culture that pervades this area. From the Ringling Museum to Ringling College of Art and Design to the newly redesigned Sarasota Art Museum (inside a renovated high school building), there are plenty of galleries and exhibits to explore to your heart’s content. You might even be able to squeeze in an art class of your own while you’re here!
- Circus: Skip the typical dinner-and-a-movie routine and run away to the circus together! The Circus Arts Conservatory keeps the circus traditions alive and swinging in the Sarasota area. Include famous performers like Nick Wallenda and Dolly Jacobs, the circus is a must-see if you’re in town for the show.
- Theatre/Ballet/Opera: The live theatre scene in Sarasota is another rich cultural experience to enjoy. From live theatres like Van Wezel, Florida Studio Theatre, and Asolo, to the local ballet and the Sarasota Opera, there is something for everyone. What a romantic date night you’ll remember forever!
There are so many cultural foods and experiences available in the Sarasota area, you can eat from a different exotic cuisine every night of your vacation! Here are just a few of the many favorite options available.
- St. Armand’s Circle: From Spanish to Italian, Greek to French, the cultural eating experience as you make the rounds at St. Armand’s Circle won’t disappoint. Take in the local art, street performers and elite shopping experiences while you’re strolling the sidewalks, as well.
- Cafe Gabbiano: Billed as one of the most romantic dining spots on Siesta Key, Cafe Gabbiano serves up Italian food with a side of romance! Enjoy the ambiance along with a glass of superb wine from their vast collection along with your sweetheart, then be sure to stick around for dessert.
- Ophelia’s on the Bay: With stunning sunset views overlooking the water, Ophelia’s on the Bay is another great spot for local cuisine and a quiet, romantic dinner. Both scenic and contemporary, you’ll fall in love with the stunning views and quaint atmosphere.
Since we’ve only scratched the surface of romantic haunts in Sarasota, be sure to fill us in! The Best Western Siesta Key wants to hear about your new discoveries, the spots you want to revisit, what you’ll recommend to friends who travel here. We’ll add your new favorites to our list. Enjoy exploring this incredible area with your partner, discovering new ways to fall in love with Florida’s Gulf Coast and with each other!